top of page
1758 George Klein - Founder of Lititz PA -  Deed to Water for Hay Meadow

1758 George Klein - Founder of Lititz PA - Deed to Water for Hay Meadow


This is a document for the use of a creek off the Conestoga River in Lititz, PA allowingJohn Hess to damn and use water from this creek to water his hay meadow during the growing season. The owners of the land around this creek were (Johann) George Klein (1705-1783) and Nicholas Kiessel (1716-1791). Klein was the first settler in the area and built his home at what is now 137 Main Street Lititz, PA. He is considered the founder of Lititz, PA. In the 1744 he gave the Moravian Church land on which to build a Union Church and in 1746 he gave the church more land on which to build a 'Gemeinhaus' which was part school, meeting house, church, and home for preachers. In 1754, Klein gave most of the rest of his land to the church and moved to Bethlehem (stated as his residence in this document) and operated a 'public conveyance business (stagecoach) out of the Sun Inn that still stands today. His signature is on this document.

Nicholas Kiessel, another early settler in Lititz was Klein's neighbor (as stated in this document) and also signed the document. His son Frederick Kissel was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Kissel Hill, PA (just south of Lititz, PA) is named after this family.

John (Johannes) Hess (1730-1778) who is the person acquiring the use of the water for his hay meadow was the grandson of the founding member of the Hess family (Hans Hess) and the Hess Homestead still stand today.

This 261 year old document has some restoration tape on it but it is easy to read and in great shape for its age.

Offered with FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING. International buyers please use the shipping feature in your shopping cart and pay through PayPal if you would like next day shipping.

bottom of page